Eligibility for Admission to the MBBS Course in Nepal
The following conditions and eligibility criteria must be met by the aspiring candidate for admission in medical schools for an MBBS in Nepal. These criteria have been set following strict guidelines from Kathmandu University, Tribhuvan University and the Ministry of Education, Government of Nepal –
- The candidate must be 17 years old.
- He or she must have passed a standard 10 + 2 or Intermediate Science with English language, Physics, Biology, and Chemistry and a major subject and must not have less than 50% marks in the average aggregate calculated based on the major subject.
Have completed a bachelor’s degree in any field – Physics, Chemistry, or Biology (B.Sc.) from an accredited University, and have studied one other science subject up to an additional level, with an aggregate of not less than 50% and meet the above conditions and aggregate requirements of the standard 10 + 2.
- Resident Nepalese students have to take the KUMET (Kathmandu University Medical Entrance Test) or KUSMS (Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences) or TU-IOM exam, which is considered to be a determining factor for admission to the campus in Nepal.
- Students enrolling from foreign countries and Nepali Non-Resident students must forward their application to the said campus to receive and receive admission to a Nepalese medical college for authorization and verification. Such documents are required to obtain authorization from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the student country and by the Embassy of Nepal.
- Upon successful completion of the documents, especially the applicant’s birth certificate and passport, a verification pass is issued which is then checked by the second embassy of the country, and students now have to register with other candidates who have academic documents and entrance exam scores taken in their country e.g. NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) score for Indian students.
The eligibility criteria may vary for different universities in Nepal –
- Tribhuvan University
- Kathmandu University
- B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences
- Patan Academy of Health Sciences
These universities are on post-admission procedures. However, all academic guidelines and qualifications are required as a matter of course as determined by the Minister of Education, Government of Nepal.